Easily available, bright and delicious, a carrot is a seasonal root. It is an inexpensive vegetable loaded with nutrients. It contains a good amount of beta-carotene (vitamin A). Beetroot, on the other hand, is a red-bulb root and densely packed with antioxidants.
Blending both these ingredients can make a truly nutrient-rich juice to sip on don’t you think? Carrot and beetroot juice can be a healthier, refreshing drink than many other juices, and one that will surely refresh and rejuvenate you.
Its juice contains a high amount of essential bioactive compounds, making it an excellent morning drink to kick start your day. It has beneficial properties necessary for our daily functioning.
Let’s learn to make carrot beetroot juice at home. You can use locally available carrots and beetroots. Wash them thoroughly to remove the germs, peel, cut and blend them into a juicer. Filter the red juice obtained using a muslin cloth. Voila, your fresh carrot beetroot juice is ready to be served; enjoy this delicious drink in the morning to have a super healthy start to the day.
Did You Know?
- Its juice may help improve digestion and promote a healthy gut. source: fdc.nal.usda.gov
- Is a natural source of nitrates, which may help lower blood pressure.
- Carrot beetroot juice is a good source of iron, which is essential for red blood cell production.
- Carrot beetroot juice is low in calories and can aid in weight management.
- May help support liver health and detoxification processes.
Nutritional Value of Carrot Beetroot Juice:
Carrot beetroot juice contains bioactive compounds such as anthocyanins, carotenoids, vitamin C, sugars, antioxidants, betanin and phenols. The nutritional value is as follows:
Properties of Carrot Beetroot Juice:
ontains an excellent source of antioxidants. It may have the following properties:
- It may have antioxidant potential.
- It may have anti-carcinogenic action (may have a negative effect on cancer cell development).
- It may have anti-inflammatory action.
- It may stimulate an immune response (may be helpful in cancer).
- It may have a blood sugar lowering effect.
Potential Uses of Carrot Beetroot Juice:
The health benefits of beetroot and carrot juice may be because of the phytonutrients that both these roots are high on, such as vitamins and minerals. Some of the potential uses of carrot beetroot juice are discussed as follows:
1. Potential uses of Carrot Beetroot Juice for leukaemia (blood cancer)
The health benefits of carrot beetroot juice may eztend to helping in (leukaemia) blood cancer. A case report by Marie Christine et al. (2015) demonstrated that drinking beet carrot juice might be beneficial for overcoming the problems related to leukaemia. They showed that it might benefit lack of appetite and a sense of general well-being and increase daily activities. The carrot beetroot juice may also be used with anti-cancer drugs. Hence, this study suggested that carrot beetroot juice may have some beneficial effects on leukaemia and may be useful for patients battling blood cancer.
However, further study is required to demonstrate the benefit of carrot beetroot juice in managing leukaemia-related problems in humans, as these results are insufficient. Therefore, it is essential to see a doctor before relying only on carrot beetroot juice for leukaemia.
2. Potential uses of Carrot Beetroot Juice for inflammation
Carrot beetroot juice may have a beneficial anti-inflammatory effect. A high amount of antioxidant carotenoids such as beta-carotene, polyphenols and vitamins found in carrots may contribute to this biological property. It may help neutralise the effects of free radicals. Flavonoids and phenolic derivates in carrot beetroot juice might play an important role similar to antioxidants. They may be helpful in lowering inflammation
These studies are insufficient and further studies are essential to prove the potential use of carrot beetroot juice to overcome inflammation in humans.
3. Other Potential Uses of Carrot Beetroot Juice:
- Carrot beetroot juice contains antioxidants and phytochemicals that might have a beneficial effect on maintaining blood sugar levels.
- Carrot beetroot juice may have anti-cancer and cytotoxic action. It might be helpful in decreasing the chances of cancer cell development.
- Beetroot and carrot juice may help with keeping the skin healthy and vibrant. It contains the antioxidant vitamin C which is known to be beneficial for skin health.
- The benefits of drinking carrot beetroot juice daily might be beneficial in combating issues with hair. It contains vital vitamins which are useful for hair growth; benefitting hair health.
Despite research demonstrating the advantages of carrot beetroot juice for a number of health conditions, the findings are insufficient. Therefore, further investigation is required to clarify the full scope of carrot beetroot juice’s health advantages for people.
How To Make Carrot Beetroot Juice:
This vibrant juice is a perfect way to kickstart your day or provide a midday energy boost. Packed with essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, this easy-to-make juice offers numerous health benefits in every sip.
- 2 medium-sized carrots
- 1 medium-sized beetroot
- 1-inch piece of ginger
- 1-2 tablespoons of honey (optional for sweetness)
- Water (as needed)
- Wash and peel the carrots and beetroot. Cut them into small pieces for easier blending.
- Peel the ginger and chop it into smaller chunks.
- In a blender or juicer, add the carrot, beetroot and ginger pieces.
- Blend or juice the ingredients until smooth. If using a blender, you may need to add some water to achieve a liquid consistency.
- Taste the juice and add honey if you prefer a sweeter taste. Honey is optional and can be omitted if you prefer the natural flavour of the vegetables.
- Once the juice is well blended and sweetened to your liking, strain it through a fine-mesh strainer or a nut milk bag to remove any pulp and fibre.
- Pour the freshly prepared carrot beetroot juice into a glass and it’s ready to be served!
- For the best taste and nutrition, consume the juice immediately. If you prefer it chilled, you can refrigerate it for a short while before serving.
How to Use Carrot Beetroot Juice:
Carrot beetroot juice is a nutrient-dense beverage. It may be used in the following ways:
- Carrot beetroot juice can be prepared by blending fresh carrots and beetroot
- It can be used as a refreshing drink
- It can be used with soymilk
- It can be mixed with our fruit juices
Before taking herbal supplements, you should discuss them with a clinician. Without seeking expert medical advice, never substitute your regular medication with herbal or ayurvedic medicines.
Side Effects of Carrot Beetroot Juice:
There are no relevant data suggesting that drinking carrot beetroot juice has any side effects. Therefore, more research is needed to determine the harmful effects of carrot beetroot juice on health.
The Ayurvedic doctor who recommended carrot beetroot juice to you should be contacted right away if any side effects are experienced after having it. They will treat you appropriately.
Precautions to Take with Carrot Beetroot Juice:
Drinking carrot beetroot juice in moderation may be safe. However, precautions need to be followed.
- There are not sufficient facts available to suggest the safe use of carrot beetroot juice for pregnant and breastfeeding women. Therefore, it is essential to take medical advice before using the juice as a herb.
- People must be cautious while giving carrot beetroot juice to small children and the elderly because their immunity is less active and might develop reactions.
- The use of herbs for self-medication is not recommended, especially without seeking a doctor’s advice. Beetroot juice contains a high amount of nitrates. So, people need to consider the possibility that drinking excess carrot beetroot juice might increase nitrate levels above the acceptable limit, producing harmful compounds in the body. Therefore, people should take precautions and limit the usage of carrot beetroot juice.6 However, a doctor’s advice is always a preferable option to being on the safer side.
Interactions with Other Drugs:
The combination of carrot beetroot juice and other drugs is not well understood scientifically. Therefore, the assumption that there are no interactions at all is unwise.
Therefore, it is best to follow an Ayurvedic physician’s advice, who will suggest how to consume the juice as a herb in the optimal method.